Monday, August 31, 2009

Lavender Essential Oil

Lavender essential oil is truly indispensable. Every home should have it. Lavendula augustifolia or lavendula officinalis is the most commonly used essential oil in aromatherapy and aroma-psychology research. It is known by some as the mother of all essential oils for its capability of performing many jobs. Lavender can care for numerous physical and psychological problems, so undoubtedly it is the most versatile essential oil. It is also the only essential oil that is safe to apply directly (without a carrier oil) on the skin.



Lavender has many properties ranging from sedative, insect repellent, antiseptic, bactericidal, anti-depressant, analgesic, hypotensive, detoxifier, and decongestant. It is very calming, soothing, and balancing. It is also very good for stimulating the immune system.

Lavender has aromatherapeutic uses in burns, inflammation, arthritis, rheumatism, asthma, cuts, wounds, eczema, dermatitis, headaches, muscular aches & pains, hypertension, insomnia, colds, acne, sunburn, insect stings & bites, and more. The list can go on and on!

In the 1920s, Rene-Maurice Gattefosse burnt his hand in a laboratory accident and rushed to a vat of lavender. He discovered the dramatic healing effect of lavender which led him to research other essential oils. This is how we get the term "aromatherapy".

I use lavender quite a bit at my house. The other night I severely stubbed my little toe and it still hurts! When I put lavender massage oil on my toe it doesn't kill all the pain but its analgesic quality definitely takes the edge off. I use lavender to get annoying flies out of my kitchen! When my kids are fussy I put a couple drops of lavender in a diffuser which helps to calm them down and get my baby to sleep :) I have also made baby lotion & oil with lavender. Nicholas is a happy baby when I massage it into his feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment